Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Oblivious to the Fact

The funny thing about starting movements is that the ones who start a movement usually don't know they are starting one and sometimes never see it.
There is a great price to pray for those of us who burn with a desire to change this world. The price is pain, discomfort and to often, go unappreciated.

Here is a great quote I read today:
"I am willing to put myself through anything; temporary pain or discomfort means nothing to me as long as I can see that experience will take me to a new level. I am interested in the unknown, and the only path to the unknown is through breaking barriers, an often-painful process." - Diana Nyad

I received a letter of encouragement from a young man I mentored last year. I watched the video of three youth I personally taught how to play instruments. One of them has helped single handedly start a middle school ministry. I see a movement forming there. I could not see it when I was there.

There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going in life. There is the best way and then the easiest way.

I spoke with a young leader a few days ago. They talked about how the ministry they were at had a full band and all the resources. They also shared that they would be scared to walk into a youth ministry without those things with just a Bible study. He did not understand that the ministry he was in at that time was just a Bible study.

The point is that your calling to start a movement will be painful and full of discomfort and times where you will question why you are there or what you are doing.

I looked at my "couch mattress" laying on the floor, my plastic Target furniture and the lavender walls of a kid's room and God told me, "The very fact you see all this around you means you are called." As I was praying I felt the presence of God cover me and encourage me.

Leader....be encouraged today!

No comments:

Post a Comment