Friday, April 27, 2012

Transition Problems

The key to sustaining a movement is succession. There were no pulpit committees needed in the early Biblical days because they understood development and training.

I am getting ready to transition from my current church; The Well. We have seen God do great things since we have been here. I would LOVE to stay here forever. God prompted me and confirmed through my presbyters that I am to raise up our associate pastor. We have other issues with my mom's health that is working in this situation too. (see video on facebook)

Many times transition is ugly, messy and has an element of death.
Transition doesn't go well and maybe never happens when:
1. The Leader Seeks Comfort and Security.
-Some leaders are more concerned in being comfortable rather than the calling of God. The paycheck is the voice instead of God's voice.

2. They are Insecure.
-Development will NEVER happen if you are scared the guy under you is going to replace you. They should!!!!
Your plan should be to develop and set someone up for success under you. Give them the spotlight. Believe in them.

3. Their Identity is Consumed by the Brand/Organization.
-I am a brand "king." I love to develop a brand and "own" it. Most leaders don't know how to separate their identity from who they are. They ask, "What would I do if I wasn't here?" They lose their identity with the thing they have built.

4. They Care too Much What Others Think.
-I am not advocating to not care what people think. That is bad. You can become arrogant and live life "proverbially flicking the world off." But do what is calling you to do and let people have opinions. The best way to handle the "Eliab's" is to say this, "I am sorry you feel this way. I trust when the time comes for you that you will attempt to follow God like I am trying to. Please pray for me."

We are building our organizations and ministries for ourselves, but rather for the next generation. Will your ministry outlive you?

No comments:

Post a Comment