Friday, October 12, 2012

Don't Steady the Cart

And when they came to Chidon’s threshing floor, Uzza put out his hand to hold the ark, for the oxen stumbled. (1 Chronicles 13:9 NKJV)

This is probably the most preached verse in revivals I have ever heard. I have several different sermons from this passage myself. The other day I was journaling through the Bible and came to this passage. I was like, "Really? What could I possibly get from this that is new?"

I felt The Lord say to me, "Stop trying to steady my cart." I knew exactly what He meant. If you are like me you probably feel the need to control certain aspects of life. For me, it is pastoring a local church. I feel like I need to make it happen sometimes. If I feel the "cart" is falling I try to step in to fix it.
Uzzah failed to realize that the cart was God's. The ark of the covenant was where His presence dwelt in the Old Testament. God did not need Uzzah's help. God had it under control.

My cart is the local church. I have had to stop trying to "steady" the cart. The local church belongs to God, not me.

I am not sure what your cart is. Maybe it is a relationship, job or a church. At any rate, here three things that this passage inspires me to do:
1) God is Sovereign and in Control
2) I don't have to control everything
3) Train others to think this way

I love football. One truth about football is that there are many plays in a game. Every down is not 3rd down. Some possessions will end in punts. I don't have to score a touchdown every time. I don't have to steady the cart. The cart will be fine....

1 comment:

  1. Speaking straight to my heart, brother! And what causes us to try to "steady the cart" ourselves? FEAR! The cart - our lives, our walk - are NOT "ours" they are HIS! If we get that, we get blessed!

    ReplyDelete