Saturday, July 11, 2009

Constantly Consistent

Constant Habit of Consistency

Baseball great Willie Mayes once said, "Anybody can be good one time, the great ones are consistent at being good- all the time."

I don't have the most experience in ministry, I am a "young buck" to the older ones, but I do know this: People watch for consistency before anything else.

That is one principle we can take from the Apostle Paul's life from 2,000 years ago. Whether you believe in biblical principles or not, you cannot overlook that this one man changed the course of history forever.

As I was reading in 2nd Corinthians this morning I noticed that even though Paul was discouraged, the people he ministered to did not appreciate him and his life was continually in danger, he was still very consistent.

Now, here is your question: Do people around you see a consistency or "flightiness?" My good friend Keith Rowell and I like to call people who are not consistent- "shady."

Here is the point: Uncommon men do daily what common men do occassionally.

What you do daily you will be permanently. You do not decide your future. You decide your habits and your habits decide your future.

I recently sat with a young man on the 5th week of our mentoring sessions. I asked him how he had changed his habits. He had not. I asked him how his spiritual formation had been coming. I said, "Have you started journaling yet?" He said, "No, I am still praying at the same time, the same way when we first started these meetings."

The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine. Don't be great for 4 years of college and then become a sluggard. Don't get guilty and then read for 5 hours one week.

Be constantly consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment